martin

Martin the Warrior

I always find it funny how those little strange creatures we call pets become family. I mean, cats are pretty much meowing, eating machines that pay attention to you when it’s convenient for them with varying degrees of affection. We had a mostly outdoor cat who, for the last 14 years, was friendlier than most cats and constantly in and out of the door just to remind us of his existence. He was the kitten who perched on the dashboard of my mother’s car, waiting for me to get out of middle school. (That didn’t last long after he figured out the car also went to the vet.) He was my extra black shadow whenever I went outside. He was the one who we’re pretty sure roamed miles away from the house but always managed to come back to stare at us through the window.

Rest in Peace, Martin the Warrior. I’m glad I was home to see you off.

7390327216_51e44dc72c_o

019

1. Oh, so sorry for your lost! I had a cat a couple of years ago. 14 years is quite a long time for a pet… or not?

1. Polly

Yes, he was quite old (and sick) so it wasn’t a surprise, just sad :/

2. I’m sorry about your cat but I’m glad you have nice memories of him

3. It’s always sad to say goodbye to a beloved member of the family. Cherish those lovely memories of him. He looks like a gorgeous boy!

1. Polly

Isn’t it funny how pets just end up as such an integral part of your life?

4. Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear about your cat.

1. Polly

Thanks, I’m just glad I got to get home first.

5. Angela Fuerte June 28, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Sorry for your lost… Martin the Warrior was pleased to have you there as you are for been there to see him off. I will have a tuna salad in his honor!

1. Polly

Haha, I’m sure he would appreciate that!

6. Aw, gorgeous kitteh… 14 is a good age. You’ll miss him :(

1. Polly

Yup, he lived way longer than we ever anticipated (he was a cat/dog/fox fighter) so good on him.

7. Oh no! I think it’s because animals are a lot more affectionate than humans sometimes, that must be why we like them :) Hope you’re ok!

1. Polly

Thank you. It’s hard imagining that he’s just going to pop out from somewhere as he was such an integral part of my home life for so long.

8. Ah, sorry for your lose! I’m glad you got to be home though.

Thank you, Amanda.

9. I’m so sorry :( Sounds like he had a wonderful life <3

1. Polly

He lived a life of bad-assery that most people (err, cats) could hope for!

10. aw man. right in the heart-hurtin spot! sorry for your loss, dear.

1. Polly

11. He looks exactly like my Shadow, and he too has gotten old now. I think he’s 10 years old — more or less. And I just really want to take care of him because his brother has left us year. I miss him so much.. my Garfield.
    Martin’s in the cat heaven now, together with my Garfield. meowing on us. :)

1. Polly

Take good care of Shadow – I love black cats!

12. Sorry for your loss. Martin sounds like an awesome cat, that lived a very full and adventurous life :)

1. Polly

Thank you for your kind words!

13. Ahhhh, I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy, but I’m really glad you were home to see him off, as you said. I had a similar event happen with my dachshund of 13 years, but I happened to be home visiting over the weekend when it happened… and somehow that made me feel good to be there, for closure purposes I guess.

1. Polly

Absolutely. He was really my cat more than my family’s, even if I was gone a lot, so it was really good to be there.