Martin the Warrior

I always find it funny how those little strange creatures we call pets become family. I mean, cats are pretty much meowing, eating machines that pay attention to you when it’s convenient for them with varying degrees of affection. We had a mostly outdoor cat who, for the last 14 years, was friendlier than most cats and constantly in and out of the door just to remind us of his existence. He was the kitten who perched on the dashboard of my mother’s car, waiting for me to get out of middle school. (That didn’t last long after he figured out the car also went to the vet.) He was my extra black shadow whenever I went outside. He was the one who we’re pretty sure roamed miles away from the house but always managed to come back to stare at us through the window.

Rest in Peace, Martin the Warrior. I’m glad I was home to see you off.

7390327216_51e44dc72c_o

019

Join hundreds of other AG&HT readers who are getting a monthly round-up of all that's weird and wonderful in Russia. PLUS you'll gain access to an e-mail list only short story that really pulls back the cover on what life's really like in Russia.
PS. No spam. Ever.

28 Responses

1. sunandsany says:

Oh, so sorry for your lost! I had a cat a couple of years ago. 14 years is quite a long time for a pet… or not?

2. Elizabeth says:

I’m sorry about your cat but I’m glad you have nice memories of him

3. Amy R says:

It’s always sad to say goodbye to a beloved member of the family. Cherish those lovely memories of him. He looks like a gorgeous boy!

4. Jessie says:

Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear about your cat.

5. Angela Fuerte says:

Sorry for your lost… Martin the Warrior was pleased to have you there as you are for been there to see him off. I will have a tuna salad in his honor!

6. Aw, gorgeous kitteh… 14 is a good age. You’ll miss him :(

7. Kerri says:

Oh no! I think it’s because animals are a lot more affectionate than humans sometimes, that must be why we like them :) Hope you’re ok!

• Polly says:

Thank you. It’s hard imagining that he’s just going to pop out from somewhere as he was such an integral part of my home life for so long.

8. Ah, sorry for your lose! I’m glad you got to be home though.

9. Sophie says:

I’m so sorry :( Sounds like he had a wonderful life <3

10. Annie says:

aw man. right in the heart-hurtin spot! sorry for your loss, dear.

11. teresa says:

He looks exactly like my Shadow, and he too has gotten old now. I think he’s 10 years old — more or less. And I just really want to take care of him because his brother has left us year. I miss him so much.. my Garfield.
    Martin’s in the cat heaven now, together with my Garfield. meowing on us. :)

12. Sorry for your loss. Martin sounds like an awesome cat, that lived a very full and adventurous life :)

13. Cynthia says:

Ahhhh, I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy, but I’m really glad you were home to see him off, as you said. I had a similar event happen with my dachshund of 13 years, but I happened to be home visiting over the weekend when it happened… and somehow that made me feel good to be there, for closure purposes I guess.

1. December 9, 2014

[…] Mayan ruins || Enjoyed VA produce || Got my camera game sorted || Saw some excellent sunsets || Said goodbye to my good friend Martin || Just happy to be […]