central america, nicaragua

Rivas, Nicaragua

Processed with VSCOcam with p5 preset

Rivas Nicaragua

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: sometimes the small, unassuming towns give you some of your very best travel experiences. So when our bus turned out to not go directly to Granada we hopped off in the town of Rivas, hoping for the best. The other fiver or so odd foreigners immediately hopped on the bike taxis and headed toward the island of Ometepe while we decided to save some cash and stay in Rivas for the night.

We’re glad we did. Incredibly friendly people, delicious food, and even a police fleet of Lada for the Russky to exclaim over all made Rivas a great little pit stop. So here’s a (long overdue) peek into our brief stopover in Rivas, Nicaragua:

Street in Rivas

Lada in Rivas

Abandoned building in Rivas

Church in Rivas

Cross in Rivas

Weirdly Cut Trees

Join hundreds of other AG&HT readers who are getting a monthly round-up of all that's weird and wonderful in the AG&HT world. Short stories, tips, and giveaways are all perks of the list!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

• Reply sunandsany June 19, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Hahah look at his face! I usually react like this when I see something from my country abroad too! Nicaragua must be so exotic! Nice photos!

• Reply Polly June 19, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Yes, I have about 100 pictures of him looking like a lunatic around all the Russian cars :) An unexpected taste of home is always awesome!

• Reply Kate June 19, 2014 at 9:08 pm

These photos have such a lovely feel to them, like distant memories or something I’ve read about in a book a long time ago… I completely agree with you – sometimes (or for me, almost always!) the small, unassuming towns are the best experiences. I think maybe it’s because you don’t have to get past years of tourist exhaustion and can just meet people where they are. Thanks so much for sharing these photos!

• Reply Polly June 19, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I think your point about ‘tourist exhaustion’ is exactly right. Rivas was basically just a quick stopover/transfer point for most people, so it was just kind of… normal. It was lovely.

• Reply ladyofthecakes June 19, 2014 at 9:09 pm

OK. The food must have been out of this world. That’s all I can say after looking at those pictures. *rushes off to get some prozac*.

• Reply Polly June 19, 2014 at 9:13 pm

It was so good we didn’t even get pictures! And there were hours of entertainment as the Russky tried to learn how to pronounce “chimichurri” sauce after devouring it over a big steak.

• Reply ladyofthecakes June 19, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Yes, I noticed that he was wearing his cheery pants for the occasion. Just as well :)
        Ooooooh, chimichurri…!

• Reply Mishfish13 June 20, 2014 at 12:12 am

I’m digging his pants! And the town, of course. I love little discoveries along the way, especially when they turn out to be small and non-touristic !

• Reply Polly June 20, 2014 at 5:06 am

Noo, I am always berating him to stop. wearing. pyjamas. in real life!!

• Reply Sophie June 20, 2014 at 11:59 am

I love your pictures – I don’t know what it is but they impart a sort of calm, although at the same time kind of like mysterious feeling on me. Simply gorgeous!

• Reply Polly June 20, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Thank you so much! What an amazing compliment!

• Reply nomadnotion June 20, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I hope you decide to make it to Isla de Ometepe! I fell in love, and want to move there one day. The permaculture scene is incredible, and there is a supportive community of people living sustainably. Glad you had fun in Rivas. To be honest, I only stayed long enough to catch the bus. Good on you for exploring!

• Reply Polly June 24, 2014 at 4:40 pm

We never did make it out to the Island, unfortunately, but we’ve got it slated for the next time we head over.

• Reply Annie June 20, 2014 at 8:26 pm

the russky, the 70s-beach-vacay-tourist tourist guide. perfect. i cant get over the great colors down there!

• Reply Polly June 24, 2014 at 4:41 pm

God, he really took our travels to get down to the ugliest clothing he could find. I’m plotting to steal and burn those pants asap.

• Reply Cassandra June 21, 2014 at 12:16 pm

I’m enjoying these small-name city posts! I follow a few bloggers around central and south America, and of course it’s more typical to shine light on what’s already been clearly marked on the map. These discoveries are making me even more excited bout the upcoming magazine project!

• Reply Polly June 24, 2014 at 4:43 pm

It’s great to show off what’s already been discussed since there’s always something new to talk about, but there’s something about wandering around a city without any preconceptions which can be really magical.

• Reply Anna June 24, 2014 at 10:56 am

I’m as amused by the Ladas as the Russky. Where the heck did they come from?

• Reply Polly June 24, 2014 at 4:36 pm

No idea! The best I can guess is the communist connection (cue rainbow) and the USSR sent some over to support the Sandinistas?

• Reply Julie July 7, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Maybe it’s just the perspective but either he is really tall or that car is really small. haha! :)

• Reply Polly July 8, 2014 at 6:52 pm

He is freakishly tall :)

• Reply Claudia August 7, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Y’know I’ve also had some great meals in Rivas. But I always seem to be passing through, or on a timeline. Maybe its time to slow down and take notice next time I’m in town.

• Reply Polly August 8, 2014 at 9:44 am

I’d recommend it! There’s not a whole lot, but it’s charming all by itself!