Processed with VSCOcam with p5 preset

Rivas, Nicaragua

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: sometimes the small, unassuming towns give you some of your very best travel experiences. So when our bus turned out to not go directly to Granada we hopped off in the town of Rivas, hoping for the best. The other fiver or so odd foreigners immediately hopped on the bike taxis and headed toward the island of Ometepe while we decided to save some cash and stay in Rivas for the night.

We’re glad we did. Incredibly friendly people, delicious food, and even a police fleet of Lada for the Russky to exclaim over all made Rivas a great little pit stop. So here’s a (long overdue) peek into our brief stopover in Rivas, Nicaragua:

Street in Rivas

Lada in Rivas

Abandoned building in Rivas

Church in Rivas

Cross in Rivas

Weirdly Cut Trees

1. Hahah look at his face! I usually react like this when I see something from my country abroad too! Nicaragua must be so exotic! Nice photos!

1. Polly

Yes, I have about 100 pictures of him looking like a lunatic around all the Russian cars :) An unexpected taste of home is always awesome!

2. These photos have such a lovely feel to them, like distant memories or something I’ve read about in a book a long time ago… I completely agree with you – sometimes (or for me, almost always!) the small, unassuming towns are the best experiences. I think maybe it’s because you don’t have to get past years of tourist exhaustion and can just meet people where they are. Thanks so much for sharing these photos!

1. Polly

I think your point about ‘tourist exhaustion’ is exactly right. Rivas was basically just a quick stopover/transfer point for most people, so it was just kind of… normal. It was lovely.

3. OK. The food must have been out of this world. That’s all I can say after looking at those pictures. *rushes off to get some prozac*.

1. Polly

It was so good we didn’t even get pictures! And there were hours of entertainment as the Russky tried to learn how to pronounce “chimichurri” sauce after devouring it over a big steak.

1. Yes, I noticed that he was wearing his cheery pants for the occasion. Just as well :)
        Ooooooh, chimichurri…!

4. I’m digging his pants! And the town, of course. I love little discoveries along the way, especially when they turn out to be small and non-touristic !

1. Polly

Noo, I am always berating him to stop. wearing. pyjamas. in real life!!

5. I love your pictures – I don’t know what it is but they impart a sort of calm, although at the same time kind of like mysterious feeling on me. Simply gorgeous!

1. Polly

Thank you so much! What an amazing compliment!

6. I hope you decide to make it to Isla de Ometepe! I fell in love, and want to move there one day. The permaculture scene is incredible, and there is a supportive community of people living sustainably. Glad you had fun in Rivas. To be honest, I only stayed long enough to catch the bus. Good on you for exploring!

1. Polly

We never did make it out to the Island, unfortunately, but we’ve got it slated for the next time we head over.

7. the russky, the 70s-beach-vacay-tourist tourist guide. perfect. i cant get over the great colors down there!

1. Polly

God, he really took our travels to get down to the ugliest clothing he could find. I’m plotting to steal and burn those pants asap.

8. I’m enjoying these small-name city posts! I follow a few bloggers around central and south America, and of course it’s more typical to shine light on what’s already been clearly marked on the map. These discoveries are making me even more excited bout the upcoming magazine project!

1. Polly

It’s great to show off what’s already been discussed since there’s always something new to talk about, but there’s something about wandering around a city without any preconceptions which can be really magical.

9. I’m as amused by the Ladas as the Russky. Where the heck did they come from?

1. Polly

No idea! The best I can guess is the communist connection (cue rainbow) and the USSR sent some over to support the Sandinistas?

10. Maybe it’s just the perspective but either he is really tall or that car is really small. haha! :)

1. Polly

He is freakishly tall :)

11. Y’know I’ve also had some great meals in Rivas. But I always seem to be passing through, or on a timeline. Maybe its time to slow down and take notice next time I’m in town.

1. Polly

I’d recommend it! There’s not a whole lot, but it’s charming all by itself!