It’s quite unlike me, but here’s a little happiness list I’ve been compiling over the past week. Through all the stress and freak outs about the upcoming visa interview (MONDAY!!), I’m trying to remember that it’s all good.
Things Making Me Cheery This Week:
001. For a few days early in the week the weather was wonderfully cool! I could cover up with a blanket at night and not broil during my extensive marshrutka (“shared taxi”) travels. It’s hot again, but it was nice while it lasted.
002. I heard the Russky say some stupid phrase in English that he could have only gotten from me. In some ways, it’s totally awesome that I’m corrupting his language with stupid Polly-isms. But it’s also terrifying — do I really sound like that?!
003. A new business English student (a man) actually shook my hand upon meeting me. (I wrote a little about handshaking and other Russian quirks here.)
004. I checked out my Russian and American bank accounts and was pleasantly surprised by both. Amazing!
005. Finally hearing a British-trained students say “on the weekend” rather than “at the weekend”! I know the phrase is correct in Britain so I don’t actively correct it but it still sounds plain wrong to me. Yay for bending students to my American agenda!
006. Making this (pictured above) with strawberries instead of plums.
007. As I mentioned in my last post, the pipes were super leaky for a while. So I guess I should be happy that we have no water now… Unfortunately not a part of the yearly shut-down-the-hot-water-in-Moscow-to-do-something event, I will remain a dirty bird for hopefully only a more couple hours.
008. We’ve been making big (crazy, outlandish…) back up plans in case the visa doesn’t come through. It’s fun to dream and take the pressure off our main goal.
Alright you grumpy pessimists. I did it, now you. What are you happy for this week?